Saturday, February 14, 2009

Introduction

Hello, my name is Robert.

I've been coding for the better part of my life and this is my foray into web 2.0. I hate the term web 2.0 because it's totally devoid on content.

I've been coding in .NET for a short period of time but I've done a lot of classic ASP, JSP, and PHP 3-4 programming before that. Needless to say, things are different from the way that I've learnt how to code.

I'm mainly writing this blog to consolidate a lot of my thought processes when dealing with this stuff. There's too much tech out there now. Too many new frameworks and libraries. Just too much code.

Lately, I've been interested in dwelling into JQuery. Needless to say, at 2009, that JQuery is quite popular. Attempting to learn this has gotten my lead developer riled up. He's very pro-MS. He only wants to use Microsoft's AJAX solutions. He thinks that doing a lot of client-side coding is going back to the old classic ASP ways. His justifications are simple: Microsoft takes care of things like 'state' and whatnot for you. He also states that MS technologies are simple, insofar, as any developer is able to jump in.

My opinion is that writing software is meant to be hard. It's hard for anyone to jump in. What you should be doing is commenting your code. Writing code as simply as possible. Writing good documentation. Writing good tests. And also, helping people transition into your code.

No comments:

Post a Comment